December 3, 2014, 10:00AM EST
Join the conversation on Twitter with #SmartPower. Follow @InclusvSecurity for all the latest updates!
Secretary Hillary Clinton’s address will be followed by comments from the Norwegian Minister of Defence, Ine Eriksen Soreide.
There will be a subsequent panel discussion, moderated by Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Executive Director of the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security, featuring:
- Major General Adrian Foster MBE, Deputy Military Adviser for the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations;
- Ambassador Marriët Schuurman, Special Representative to the NATO Secretary General for Women, Peace and Security;
- Dr. Akihiko Tanaka, President of the Japan International Cooperation Agency;
- Lieutenant General Daniel Leaf, Director of the Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies;
- Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General (via video); and
- Staffan de Mistura, UN Special Envoy for Syria (via video).
Ambassador Swanee Hunt, Founder and Chair of The Institute for Inclusive Security, will give the closing reflections.
About This Event
Earlier this year, Secretary Clinton announced the National Action Plan Academy, an innovative program in support of her No Ceilings Initiative.
Secretary Clinton’s remarks will kick off the inaugural National Action Plan Academy, a partnership between Inclusive Security and the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security. Over three days, government and civil society leaders from Afghanistan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Ghana, Indonesia, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, the US, and others will gather. They’ll generate new approaches to developing and strengthening policies that incorporate women’s expertise and leadership to advance security internationally.
Click here to view the livestream.